5 Pro Tips: High Integrity Seal Installation
Hydraulic seal installation varies depending on the nature of applications. Whether the seal is being replaced as a maintenance procedure or being installed fresh in an application, different installation procedures might be followed. Here are 5 installation tips in common that must be paid close attention to.
- Clean the seals using lint-free cloths and all the installation tools used. Entrapping dust and other solid particles will affect the sealing performance and consequently will lead to its failure.
- Protect seals from sharp corners and burrs.
- Lubricate both the seal and its sealing path. Several lubricants are available to prevent abrasion and enhance durability, including petroleum-based, silicone grease or oil, barium grease, and fluorocarbon fluid. The lubricant must be campatible with the raw materials used to produce the seal.
- Heat the seals to iimprove easticity and ease installation. Soaking the seal in any hot lubricant will soften the seal. Do not heat the seal beyond its temperature limit. Just a few seconds in a microwave can overheat an elastomer. Do not heat the seal when it is stretched and do not overstretch the seal once it's heated.
- Use appropriate tools to eliminate chances of denting or damaging the seals.